Created on Thursday, 22 May 2014 17:32
Written by Staff Arutz Sheva
Sinai Bomb Attack
One Egyptian was killed and six others were injured in a bomb attack on Wednesday on a security vehicle in the Sinai Peninsula, security sources told Reuters.
Officials and witnesses said the casualties included both civilians and security officers.
Witnesses said Wednesday's attack was carried out by two men riding a motorcycle who threw a bomb at a security vehicle in the North Sinai city of El-Arish and fled.
Egypt’s Ministry of Interior confirmed the attack and said seven people had been injured. State television said the attack had resulted in deaths and injuries but did not provide details.
The attack is the latest in a string of terrorist attacks that have occurred in Egypt since the ouster last July of Muslim Brotherhood president Mohammed Morsi.
The attack occurred when assailants stepped out of two cars and opened fire on a security checkpoint just outside the university.
In a previous attack on Saturday, a bomb wounded three people
at a Cairo election rally for Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, the former army chief who led the military in Morsi’s ousting and is the leading candidate to replace him in the election which takes place next week.
The Sinai Peninsula has been particularly hit by terror attacks, which started shortly after the ouster of former President Hosni Mubarak and have only increased
since Morsi’s ouster.
Many of the attacks in Egypt have been claimed by the Al-Qaeda-inspired Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, 200 members of which were charged
last week with carrying out over 50 terrorist attacks.
Egypt’s interim government says there is a direct link between the Muslim Brotherhood, of which Morsi is a member, and Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, and on this basis blacklisted the Brotherhood
as a terror organization.
The Brotherhood denies having any connection to terrorism.